Last updated on June 28th, 2021
Some of the business categories below are categories that are restricted to Utas services. The restricted category applies to all Utas service users without exception. However, in certain cases, the businesses listed below may be eligible to use Utas services. But, please note that businesses offering illegal products or services are never eligible to use Utas’s services.
Some of the businesses types listed below are representative, but not exhaustive. If you are not sure whether your business is in a restricted category from using Utas services, or have questions about how these terms apply to you, please contact us via Live Chat 24/7 or email Customer Service.
By registering with us, you are confirming that you will not use the Service in connection with the following businesses, business activities, or business practices unless you have received prior written approval from Utas.
Financial and professional services
- Investment & credit services namely securities brokers; mortgage consulting or debt reduction services; credit counselling or repair; real estate opportunities; lending instruments
- Money and legal services i.e. money transmitters, check cashing, wire transfers, money orders; currency exchanges or dealers; bail bonds; collections agencies; law firms collecting funds for any purpose other than to pay fees owed to the firm for services provided by the firm (e.g., firms cannot use Utas to hold client funds, collection or settlement amounts, disputed funds, etc.)
- Virtual currency or stored value viz. virtual currency that can be monetized, resold, or converted to physical or digital products and services or otherwise exit the virtual world (e.g., Bitcoin); sale of stored value or credits maintained, accepted and issued by anyone other than the seller
IP Infringement, regulated or illegal products and services
- Intellectual property or proprietary rights infringement. It includes sales, distribution, or access to counterfeit music, movies, software, or other licensed materials without the appropriate authorization from the rights holder; any product or service that directly infringes or facilitates infringement upon the trademark, patent, copyright, trade secrets, or proprietary or privacy rights of any third party; use of Utas intellectual property without express consent from Utas; use of the Utas name or logo including use of Utas trade or service marks inconsistent with the Utas Marks Usage Agreement, or in a manner that otherwise harms Utas or the Utas brand; any action that implies an untrue endorsement by or affiliation with Utas
- Counterfeit or unauthorized goods i.e. unauthorized sale or resale of a brand name or designer products or services; sale of goods or services that are illegally imported or exported.
- Gambling means lotteries; bidding fee auctions; sports forecasting or odds making; fantasy sports leagues with cash prizes; internet gaming; contests; sweepstakes; games of chance.
- Regulated or illegal products or services such as marijuana dispensaries and related businesses; sale of tobacco, e-cigarettes, and e-liquid; online pharmacies; age-restricted goods or services; weapons and munitions; gunpowder and other explosives; fireworks and related goods; toxic, flammable, and radioactive materials; products and services with varying legal status on a state-by-state basis; goods or services, the sale of which is illegal under applicable law in the jurisdictions to which your business is targeted or directed.
- Adult content and services. It means pornography and other obscene materials (including literature, imagery and other media); sites offering any sexually-related services such as prostitution, escorts, pay-per-view, adult live chat features.
Unfair, predatory, or deceptive practices
- Investment opportunities or other services that promise high rewards.
- Platforms that facilitate the publication and removal of content (such as mug shots), where the primary purpose of posting such content is to cause or raise concerns of reputational harm.
- Sale or resale of a service without added benefit to the buyer; resale of government offerings without authorization or added value; sites that we determine in our sole discretion to be unfair, deceptive, or predatory towards consumers.
Products or services that are if not restricted by our financial partners
- Aggregation means engaging in any form of licensed or unlicensed aggregation of funds owed to third parties, factoring, or other activities intended to obfuscate the origin of funds.
- Drug paraphernalia including any equipment designed for making or using drugs, such as bongs, vaporizers, and hookahs.
- High-risk businesses such as bankruptcy lawyers; computer technical support; psychic services; travel reservation services and clubs; airlines; cruises; timeshares; prepaid phone cards, phone services, and cell phones; telemarketing, telecommunications equipment and telephone sales; drop shipping; forwarding brokers; negative response marketing; credit card and identity theft protection; the use of credit to pay for lending services; any businesses that we believe poses elevated financial risk, legal liability, or violates card network or bank policies; any business or organization that a. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence or physical harm to persons or property, or b. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence toward any group based on race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other immutable characteristic.
- Multi-level marketing.
- Pharmaceuticals and other products that make health claims that have not been approved or verified by the applicable local and/or national regulatory body.
- Sale of Twitter followers, Facebook likes, YouTube views and other forms of social media activity.
- Substances designed to mimic illegal drugs means sell of a legal substance that provides the same effect as an illegal drug (e.g., salvia, kratom).
- Video game or virtual world credits i.e. the sale of in-game currency or game items unless the merchant is the operator of the virtual world.
- Use of Utas in a manner inconsistent with its intended use or as expressly prohibited in the Utas Services Agreement. It means the use of Utas principally as a virtual terminal (e.g., submitting card transactions by manually inputting card information); processing where there is no bona fide good or service sold, or donation accepted; card testing; evasion of card network chargeback monitoring programs; sharing cardholder information with another merchant for payment cross-sell product or service
If you have any questions about a supported business by Utas services, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com